Saturday, January 3, 2009

Trials Day 1!

Well first of all great job to the Omineca Team in Prince George today!!! I just finished looking at their results!

Well today was a day of ups and downs. This mornings Qualifier went at 12:00, 2 hours later due to cold weather. It went quite well for me I came across the line in 13th place, not exactly the number I was looking for but hey! it was better than having those 2 numbers reversed...Anyway it was tight down to 13th, I was 4.97 seconds out of first. A ton of guys skiing fast! Also great job to Thomsen and Jesse who also qualified for open heats in 24th and 26th respectively. So onto the heats!!!! I had a tough heat for my first one with Alex Harvey and Phil Widmer, two extremely strong Sprinters! I cruised through the first heat mostly in 4th position before making my move on the final 180 degree turn before the VERY long finishing stretch. Tucked the hill and challenged Alex and Phil. Round 2 I was now off to! Well this heat was stacked! I ended up with the last lane choice, which translates to the worst one! I pushed out and stayed wide until the first corner where I tangled with Alex and ended up with a gap from the group. I rounded the first right hander and went to close the gap....only thing...I had no gas in the tank, my legs heavy as bricks! so I pushed over the top about 20 feet off the group, Great skis brought me into contact for the 180, then I brought myself to 4th and lost a lunge for 4th. B-final time! I took this one out and cruised in 3rd, now having ultimate confidence in my skis and my finish. I rounded the last corner in 2nd and went for broke!!! I am not sure as of this moment if I ended up 8th or 9th, My awesome friend Cam Egan and I lunged for it. I will update you on it! I think this race is a really good tune up for me for the classic sprint on tuesday! this result today would have probably good enough to get me into the World Cup in Whistler, but was not the qualifier...thats ok though I am really excited for Tuesday now!!! Well thats all to report for now, I will spend the next 2 days playing with Classic skis and possibly toying with the idea of a potential Double pole sprint.....

Until next time...

C

No comments: