Monday, July 14, 2008

Haig Glacier 2008

This past week I made the trip to Canmore, Alberta to spend the week at the Haig Glacier in Kananaskis country. It's a 18km run hike in to the camp where we sleep, eat and relax during the week. Our hike to the glacier from camp is 2.4 km one way and 1000 feet vertical. It takes about 40 minutes for myself to hike. I managed to put in a solid week of training and have a great time as well! This camp is great for 2 reasons; The training at altitude is great for boosting the oxygen carrying capacity in my body, as well as for working on some on-snow technique in the middle of the summer! So far I have been able to ski during every month of the year this year. After hiking to the glacier, skiing and then returning to camp we work on recovering and regenerating for future workouts in the week.


It was exciting to also have some younger up and comers from my home club in Burns Lake attending the camp, I don't remember the last time 3 Omineca skiers attended a BC team camp together. I also have to add that only 20 BC athletes were selected for the camp!


All in all it was a great camp my ankle held up just fine and solid training was put in by everyone there, big gains were made in technique from every single skier and some delicious desserts made from various athletes!


until next time...


C