Tuesday, December 4, 2007

One down...Rest of the season to go...

It is always nice to get that first race under your belt. For me the Classic sprint race on Sunday was a decent starting point. I found weaknesses and I found strengths. I finished the qualifier strong; qualifying 9th, an ok start but nothing to write home about. I know there would be alot of people who would be happier than anything to be in my position. I think that one of the things that makes me a great athlete is the fact that I am not happy in second place. I strive for greatness, not good enough-ness. My quarter final went well I skied a relaxed third position up to the final 200 meters, then turning on the after burners to ski a relaxed 2nd in to qualify me for the semi finals. The Semi-final I had was a tough one, I believe i was ranked 5th of the 6 of us in that heat. This didn't concern me, just the fresh snow that decided to fall did. That heat took off hard, I relaxed into 3rd, sliding down to 4th then 5th up the second climb. I then picked up the tempo grabbing back onto the group but only to slightly lose out of the A-final, I will give props to the guys slightly ahead of me in 1st, 2nd and 3rd, all world class sprinters. I finished 4th of 6 and was headed to the B-final, fighting for 7th-12th. I as the snow got heavier and heavier, it was obvious that Dave Nighbor, who decided to double pole the course on Skate Skis, had the fastest skis of the day. Bang!!! the gun goes off and the B final starts I settle into 4th...fighting to stay there, I am now running on fumes, which is not that typical for me. Generally I get stronger as the heats go on. I find myself slowly falling off the group of four ahead of me and slightly pulling ahead of 6th. I finish the race exhausted and disappointed.
Going into the first race I was confident in myself and knew it wasn't going to be a cake walk. I also know that I will be stronger and faster in the races this coming weekend In Canmore AB. starting with a Free Sprint on Saturday, and 10km Classic on Sunday. I am fortunate to have a mini fan club known as Mom and Dad, coming in to cheer me on which is always a special deal because they very rarely get to see me race with my hectic race schedule.
Until Next Time!!!
keep 'em pointed straight on the down hills!


Chris

No comments: